Friday, October 8, 2010

Blog Post #7


Randy Pausch's Last Lecture: Achieving Your Chilhood Dreams
WOW THIS VIDEO WAS AMAZING! At the beginning of the video Randy Pausch tell us of his cancer. Even though he said not to pity him, I did. How could you not? He was content with what was going on, and he was living his life to the fullest.
Mr. Pausch tells his his childhood dreams. Eventually all of them come true. He described the brick walls we face in life, as ways to show ourselves how badly we want something. I could not agree more, it is about pushing yourself to the fullest and pushing through the walls. Brick walls are also ways of keeping people who dont actually want something out. We have to strive for what we want and work hard for it.
One way of learning he describes was, inderect learning. Inderect learning, or "head fake", is making people think they are doing one thing, while actually teaching them another thing. An example that he used was putting children into sports, such as swimming or football. They think they are only learning football, but they are learning a lot of things. Children learn how to play together, team work, and perseverance through sports.
He introduced a class called, Building Virtual Worlds. It was amazing to see what his students could do. He used a project based curriculum. He said that you could tell how a group of students are working together, by their body language. Mr. Pausch also advised us, not to loose our childhood wonder. Our childhood wonder is such an important thing to keep in mind. With out his wonder, he would have not accomplished everything he had. He also tells us never to give up, HAVE FUN, tell the trutch, and cherish feedback. He said that feedback is a very important thing. The people who give us feedback want us to succeed, or they would have let us keep doing the wrong thing.
This video was so inspiring! I am so glad that Dr. Strange assigned this to us! I am not going to lie, when he brought out the cake to his wife and everyone sang happy birthday, I got a little emotional. Mr. Pausch seems like such an amazing man. At the end of the video he tells us his two "head fakes" about his speech. The first one was that people need to lead their life the right way, and dream will find you. The second one was that this speech was not for the audience, it was for his three children. I also got a little emotional when he told that. He gave this speech, so that his kids could go back after he is gone, and get advice from him. I LOVED IT!!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kindra,

    I also thought it was a great video and I have to say this was the perfect last lecture. As I watched it I thought, what would I say if I were in his situation. I could never come up with something as profound. Hopefully, though, you and I will have many years to make a positive impact on our students. I'll certainly take his advice with me when I start teaching.

    Your blog looks very nice by the way!

    ReplyDelete